Sunday, September 27, 2009

Uses For Ground Meat

So I was supposed to have the whole weekend all to myself. No Mr. Rooster Chick, no Baby Chick, and most of all... NO COOKING! Well that went out the window around 2 this afternoon when I got a call from Mr. Rooster Chick saying... "See ya in 20 minutes hon!"

Uhhh, ok.

Now don’t get me wrong, I’m as happy as a clam to see my gang - errr um a whole day early and all - but Momma Chick wasn’t expecting to be on kitchen duty tonight.

So I leap over the cat and scramble to the freezer to grab some ground turkey meat to toss into the microwave on defrost - easy enough right?


While the turkey meat and microwave are doing their dance, I do a little brainstorming - while catching my breath - and decide to go with Spaghetti. Super creative, I know - but it’s always a pleaser and I had everything on hand, no Sunday afternoon trip to the market or harassing thy neighbors for basil. Good deal.

I also came up with some additional scrumptious meal ideas that you can create using ground meat, and thought I’d share them with you here. I’m sure this list will grow with time, so check back now and then. Bon appetit!

Burgers
Burritos
Cabbage Rolls/Casserole
Calzones
Cheesy Mac
Chili
Dirty Rice
Enchiladas
Jambalaya
Lasagna
Manicotti
Meatballs (Bbq, Sweet & Sour, Swedish)
Meatloaf
Mexican Lasagna
Pizza
Quesadillas
Salad
Salisbury Steaks
Shepard’s Pie
Sloppy Joes
Soups & Stews
Spaghetti
Spanish Rice
Stroganoff
Stromboli
Stuffed Shells
Stuffed Peppers
Tacos
Tamale Bake/Casserole
Twice-Baked Potatoes
Ziti

What are some of your favorite recipes that call for ground meat?

9 comments:

  1. Ground meat can be used in so many ways. I like to keep some cooked and frozen for a really quick meal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Like Linda, I but cook and freeze bags of ground beef to have on hand. It have saved my neck more than once! I do this with boiled chicken, too!
    Many blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Linda & Connie, I have yet to try this, I almost always by frozen ground turkey. Will have to get some fresh and give this a try soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have TONS- especially now since grocery prices are skyrocketing. The cheeseburger soup I featured today would be one of them- Mexican casserole- meatloaf and lasagna.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You know my favorite one is from my daughter now-taco lasagna. But of course, spagetti is wonderful anyday, especially when your in a hurry. I love your blog and thanks for dropping by mine. I should call Bat Mr Rooster!
    vickie

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Sherri, I make a mean Mexican Casserole/Lasagna. Will share the recipe very soon.

    ReplyDelete
  7. @Vickie, thanks for the blog luv, and I enjoyed hanging out at your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Picadillo is a staple in my house. Easy and everyone loves it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This Whole Foods recipe is one of my favorite for using ground beef (or ground bison, turkey, etc). Super yum! Peruvian Soup a la Minuta. It's also very easy and freezes well (or can be eaten for lunch and dinner throughout the week if you make a large batch). http://www.wholefoodsmarket.com/recipes/1939

    ReplyDelete